Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A picture for 9/11

On this September 11, this is the picture I want to show the world. I remember the 2001 Sept. 11 very well. It was a Tuesday too, I think. After a lost and weird and frightening-feeling day as I began to understand what had happened, I drove over to Gabrielle's house in the evening. The only thing I wanted to do was hold her little babies. That seemed to be the only sane thing to do on a day like that. But turning left onto her street, I didn't notice a man on a bicycle who was driving across the street in the gathering dusk. I drove right into the back of his bike, knocking him off. I felt so terrible--I stopped the car right in the middle of the street (not smart, Naomi--though fortunately not many people were out and about then) and got out to make sure he was okay and check on his bike. He didn't speak much English, and I couldn't remember much Spanish, so after a few seconds, he hopped back on his bike and said he was okay. I was shaky driving the whole way down 400 N to Gabrielle's house, and it was indeed a relief to hold the twins. I don't think I told Gabrielle what had happened--I seem to remember having gotten into a fender bender with her truck earlier that summer, and I was probably too embarrassed to admit another driving mistake. Man, it's a miracle I passed my driver's test. Anyway, I hope your 9/11 today is certainly better than mine was 11 years ago!


2 comments:

  1. Naomi, you've had adventures I never guessed! I am so glad you have a vigilant guardian angel :) I love this picture - it captures two of the reasons I don't despair of our future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and that my guardian angel was willing to help out a hapless victim of my driving!

    ReplyDelete