Friday, June 28, 2013

I'm lousy at birthday presents.

Well, Gabrielle, so much for posting every day until your birthday. It's Friday evening, dinner is crisping up in the oven (chicken nuggets topped with left-over spaghetti, topped with left-over spaghetti sauce and parmesan cheese--hope it's good!), and Cici is doing her daily digest of the bookshelf (picture uploaded separately). Dave, Joshua, and Polly had been outside on the trampoline, but they've come in just now and Polly fell off the couch, so the house is now filled with loud, melodramatic wails. Poor Polly. Rug burns actually can hurt quite a bit. Do I have three things to share with the world today? Why don't I just transcribe what Polly is kvetching to me right now:

"Can I go back to Grandma Frandsen's house and go to Memorial Park?"
"Mama, I wish I could go back to St. George to get Bambi."
"Mama, I wish I had a pet puppy too. Then after I had a doggy, I wish I could have a cat."

Yes, those are the last three things that Polly said to me. Clearly her life is very fulfilling right now :). If I were to make my own list of end-of-the-day-kvetching-wishes, it would be:

"I wish I could think about something besides gay marriage and language acquisition in speech-delayed toddlers."
"I wish I didn't have so many ants around to highlight my failures as a housekeeper."
"I wish it were somehow healthy to eat as much ice cream as you wanted."

So there you go. Back on the bandwagon--and maybe I'll even have a cheerful post for you tomorrow :).

2 comments:

  1. Well, you may have noticed my lack of blog posts as well. I haven't had it in me to post this week. Actually, I can't really stand to be online-- I'm not going to log onto facebook for at least a month. I can't stand the gloating.
    I wish I didn't have ants highlighting my failures as a housekeeper, either. Or fruit flies. And I'm with you on the ice cream front as well.
    Maybe next week will be better? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fruit flies! Yes, we are hosting a population here as well :). As for Facebook, just take it as a sign that you have a diverse group of friends and acquaintances and that you're not shut up in an echo chamber, as some people of different political opinions might believe of everyone who doesn't agree with them :). I was asking myself why I didn't want to comment--even very benignly--on the Supreme Court decisions, and I realized it's because issues of family and identity and relationships are so personal to me that I would want to have those conversations in person. Especially with those with whom I might find myself in disagreement. I heard the phrase "achieving disagreement" a while ago, and it has resonated with me on this issue. I have friends and former coworkers who are gay, and I have friends and family who support gay marriage and think it should be legalized everywhere. So it's important to me that all of these people know that I value our friendship and that I do not dismiss their deeply-held feelings on the issue. But I would also want them to understand my deeply-held feelings as well, and that certainly can't be done on a Facebook post... Okay, off to my screaming baby who really doesn't care what I think about gay marriage as long as he doesn't have to keep being neglected for another minute!

    ReplyDelete