Friday, July 12, 2013

Cracking Joshey's Nap Code

I did it! I cracked Joshey's nap code! I heard a humorous story on NPR earlier this morning about how we're in for a deluge of advertising from health insurance companies once the individual mandate comes into effect, and how those companies will all be trying to crack the marketing code for the healthy 18-35 year-olds. Well, I don't know how the insurance companies are going to do it, but I liked the idea of "cracking codes" for various things. Like I'm still trying to crack the code for how to wash Cici's hair without screams of agony and how to get Polly interested in tracing letters and numbers (she REALLY likes making x's, she's REALLY not interested in any other letters). Anyway, I'm pleased to announce that I have figured out how to get Joshey down for a nap that lasts longer than about 30 minutes. I had been nursing him to sleep, but the multiple occasions for waking and crying between the rocking chair and the pack-and-play were driving me crazy. I'm not quite ready to lay him down awake and get him used to soothing himself to sleep. So I adopted the Dave-Sloan-patented method of nappening babies--bounce them to sleep in your arms, ease them onto a pillow, and then ease the pillow and baby down into the pack-and-play. And I've been able to skip a step and just bounce him on the pillow from the beginning. Yesterday morning it took 10 minutes of his crying in my arms and a few more of his crying on the pillow before he succumbed to sleep, but by this afternoon, he was asleep on the pillow in about 2 minutes and didn't stir a bit when I lowered him into the pack-and-play. And he's been napping for over an hour for all of these naps. Yipee! Except that now I have no excuses for not cleaning my fridge or mopping the floor... Having a baby asleep in the sling made it very easy to convince myself that really the only thing I could do was stand around eating chocolate chips and listening to the radio :).

No comments:

Post a Comment